- 22 January 2002
- First session: introduction to the topics
- 29 January 2002
- The topics are assigned.
- 5 February 2002
- Virkaanastujaistilaisuus (no seminar)
- 12 February 2002
- Seminar by Aleksi Penttinen. B. Chen, K. Jamieson, H.
Balakrishnan, R. Morris, Span: An Energy-Efficient Coordination
Algorithm for Topology Maintenance in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks.
- 19 February 2002
- Seminar by Aleksi Penttinen. M. Woo, S. Singh, C. S.
Raghavendra, Power aware routing in mobile ad hoc networks.
- 26 February 2002
- Seminar by Antti Autere. Q. Li and J. Aslam and
D. Rus, Online power-aware routing in wireless ad-hoc
- 5 March 2002
- Seminar by Jussi Pakkanen. Jason Flinn, M. Satyanarayanan,
PowerScope: a tool for profiling the energy usage of mobile
- 12 March 2002
- Seminar by Karthikesh Raju. A. Sinha, A. Wang, A. Chandrakasan,
Algorithmic transforms for efficient energy scalable
- 19 March 2002
- Seminar by Jussi Pakkanen. A. Vahdat, A. Lebeck, C. Schlatter
Ellis, Every Joule is precious: the case for revisiting operating
system design for energy efficiency.
- 26 March 2002
- Seminar by Karthikesh Raju. Eugene Shih, Seong-Hwan Cho, Nathan
Ickes, Rex Min, Amit Sinha, Alice Wang, Anantha Chandrakasan,
Physical layer driven protocol and algorithm design for
energy-efficient wireless sensor networks.
- 2 April 2002
- Easter holiday (no seminar).
- 9 April 2002
- Paul Vitanyi (CWI & Universiteit van Amsterdam):
Time and space bounds on reversible computing
We give an introduction to reversible computing theory, and prove a
new general upper bound on the tradeoff between time and space that
suffices for the reversible simulation of irreversible computation.
Previously, only simulations using exponential time or quadratic space
The tradeoff shows for the first time that we can simultaneously
achieve subexponential time and subquadratic space.
The boundary values are the exponential time with hardly any extra
space required by the Lange-McKenzie-Tapp method and the (log 3)th
power time with square space required by the Bennett method.
We also give the first general lower bound on the extra storage space
required by general reversible simulation. This lower bound is optimal
in that it is achieved by some reversible simulations.
See Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and General,
34(2001), 6821-6830 or
http://arXiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0101133. The talk is
based on joint work with Ming Li, John Tromp, Harry Buhrman.
- 16 April 2002
- Seminar by Kari Laasonen: Intentional Naming System for Routing
and Service Discovery, W. Adjie-Winoto, E.
Schwartz, H. Balakrishan, J. Lilley, "The Design and Implementation of
an Intentional Naming System." 17th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems
Principles 1999, 186-201.
- 23 April 2002
- Seminar by Ganesh Sivaraman. Jason Flinn and M. Satyanarayanan, "Energy-aware adaptation
for mobile applications", Symposium on Operating Systems
- 30 April 2002
- Seminar by Antti Autere. Topic is to be announced.
Monday, 15-Apr-2002 16:21:14 EEST