Laboratory of Computer and Information Science >
You can find summary of the lectures and copies of the slides
below. Copies of the slides can be downloaded only from within
the HUT.FI domain.
If you are not located in the HUT network: you can for example
login to the Computing Centre servers, download the files you want
with a web browser (e.g. Lynx) and transfer the slides for viewing to
where-ever you want. Or you can configure a ssh pipe
I have given Edita
permission to print the lecture notes for HUT students
Notice: probably due to large picture files,
there may be some problems to open/print
the slides and/or make working handouts.
I'll try to solve the problem (probably one has to e.g.
reduce the resolution of some graphics).
- Overview, 18 January 2007 [slides,
- Introduction and overview of the course.
- Graphical practice from past to present, 19 January 2007 [slides,
- Overview of the history of visualization, and how graphical practices
have evolved. Also, some examples of use of visualization in decision making
are presented. These provide the background and some motivation
for the theory of data
graphics, to be presented in the next lecture.
- Theory of data graphics, 25 January 2007 [slides,
- Classical theory of data graphics (or how to make elegant and effective
visualizations), following Tufte's presentation. Main concepts are data-ink,
chartjunk, multifunctioning graphical elements, data density and small
- Human perception (part I), 26 January 2007 [slides,
- Introduction to the human perception. Semiotics of graphics, arbitrary and
sensory symbols, affordance theory. Camera-like properties of the human eye:
- Retina in grey and color, 1 February 2007 [slides,
- Lightness, brightness and contrast effects, i.e., how the eye observes
gray. Basics of color theory and its relevance to visualization.
- Pre-attentive features, patterns, 2 February 2007 [slides,
- The lecture goes through pre-attentive features, and gestalt laws. In the
beginning, the remaining part of the previous lecture is summarized.
- No lectures on 8-9 February 2007 due to repairs in the lecture hall T1.
- Patterns and objects, 15 February 2007 [slides,
- Space perception and navigation, 16 February 2007 [slides,
- Trees and graphs, 22 February 2007 [slides]
- Dimension reduction, 23 February 2007 [slides]
- About attention, MDMV techniques, 1-2 March 2007 [slides]
Previous lecture notes
Page maintained by firstname.lastname@example.org,
last updated Wednesday, 07-Mar-2007 15:24:57 EET