Informaatiotekniikan laboratorio >
Opetus > T-61.5060 >
Exercise work 2005
To pass the course you must pass the examination and complete this
To complete the exercise work you may need information that has not
been discussed in the lectures. If you have any questions please do
not hesitate to contact the assistant or the lecturer for hints,
guidance or references.
The exercise work will be graded rejected or passed.
A passed exercise work will be valid for one year after the
If you want to get a grade at the same time as the 14
December examination results you should also submit the
exercise work by 14 December 2005. Exercise works submitted after 14
December 2005 will be graded within a month after the 16 January 2006
deadline (and you'll pass the course after you have both examination
and the exercise work done). The grading will be announced at (the blue
binder at) the notice board, and by an email to an address of the form
12345X@students.hut.fi, where 12345X is your student number.
- The exercise work should be completed by one person. However,
discussing it with others is encouraged.
- You have to submit a report in which you describe the work
that you have done and your conclusions.
- The reports must be received by the examiner
on 16 January 2006,
at latest. The reports received after the deadline will be rejected.
If you have a very good reason that causes you to miss the deadline
you can request an extension. The extension must be requested at least one
office day before the deadline.
- To pass the exercise work you must fulfill the requirements given
in the "specific requirements" section.
- If you submit the exercise work report in time and you have honestly
tried to satisfy the
requirements (for example, your submission is not essentially empty),
but don't pass,
you will be given instructions and a new deadline on
how to supplement your work after the original deadline.
- Accepted languages are Finnish, Swedish and English.
- There are no strict formatting rules, nor preferred typesetting
or word processing
in a way that
the number of words in the report is significantly
affected (for example, with unusually large or small font)
will be rejected. A
baseline is given by default LaTeX article class with a4paper
and 12pt options,
which corresponds roughly to 500 words per page (sample LaTeX file,
PDF file; LaTeX guide).
- Portions of the submission that are not part of these requirements
ignored in grading. For example, full program source codes or demo applications
should not be included in the submission (even if completing the exercise work
some programming), unless source code or demo application
is specifically asked for by the requirements.
- Each exercise work report should contain a section that comments
on the difficulty of the project and an estimate of the time used for
- The exercise work reports should be submitted by email
(firstname.lastname@example.org) in PDF format. If PDF or email
submission is not possible you can submit a printed copy by
(internal) mail (Kai
Puolamäki, PL 5400, 02015 TKK). The exercise work reports should
contain your name, email address and full student number. If you
submit your work by email, please include the student number also to
the subject line.
Write 3-5 page summary of one of the following papers from
- Qiaozhu Mei, ChengXiang Zhai. Discovering
evolutionary theme patterns from text: an exploration of temporal text
mining (PDF from the
- Jure Leskovec, Jon Kleinberg, Christos Faloutsos. Graphs over time:
densification laws, shrinking diameters and possible explanations
from the author's site, recipient of the Best Research
- Martin Scholz. Sampling-based
sequential subgroup mining
- Xifeng Yan, Hong Cheng, Jiawei Han, Dong Xin. Summarizing itemset
patterns: a profile-based approach (PDF from
the author's site, Student Paper
The PDF download from the ACM links may be restricted to the
University network. However, you can find a PDF of most articles also
by typing in the article title to Google Scholar.
Page maintained by email@example.com,
last updated Friday, 13-Apr-2007 07:36:15 EEST